CONTACT: Kristen McDonald
HOUSE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE RELEASES PCB RELATED TO FUNDING FROM NATIONAL MORTGAGE SETTLEMENT
Tallahassee, Fla.—State Representative Seth McKeel (R-Lakeland), Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, announced today the release of a proposed committee bill (APC 13-01) related to funding from the National Mortgage Settlement.
“Though our economy is showing recent and steady signs of improvement, our state is still recovering from the effects of the recent housing crisis. Through the diligent efforts of our Attorney General, Pam Bondi, Florida has held parties who worsened the situation accountable and secured funding to address this issue,” said Chair McKeel. “In a multi-faceted but targeted approach, this bill helps repair damage done to our housing market and our state by certain lenders and will assist many Floridians in attaining home ownership or securing affordable housing.”
The bill provides housing solutions and spurs further recovery in several ways:
· In addition to the down payment assistance for low-income Floridians provided earlier by the Legislative Budget Commission, the bill provides down payment assistance opportunities for Floridians working in fields where recruitment and retention have presented significant challenges. This will incentivize hard-working teachers and other professionals to continue to work in places that have traditionally had high turnover rates such as underperforming schools, rural health areas and state attorney and public defenders offices. It will also honor our commitments to veterans and active military personnel.
· Fixes the damage done to our neighborhoods by providing funds for rehabilitation and reconstruction of houses in blighted areas.
· Encourages partnerships with the private sector in providing housing to elderly and extremely low income residents.
· Ensures victims of domestic violence have safe haven for themselves and their children.
· Provides housing grants for low income university students.
· Provides legal aide assistance to homeowners facing foreclosure.
· Boosts funding in our state courts and clerks offices to address the foreclosure backlog.
PCB APC 13-01 will be heard by the Appropriations Committee on Wednesday, March 20th. The committee will meet from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
# # #Tweet