Orlando, FL – On Thursday, October 10, 2013, the Central Florida Carshare Program will officially launch with 12 Hertz 24/7 vehicles stationed in Downtown Orlando. A ribbon-cutting event with the City of Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer will be hosted by reThink, the Florida Department of Transportation’s commuter assistance program, on Thursday at 2:00 p.m. at 81 N. Hughey Avenue in Orlando. The event is being held in Lot 10 at the northeast corner of Hughey and Central. It is the same location where two vehicles will be available for hourly rentals.
Carshare programs are ideal for Downtown Orlando residents who have chosen a “car-lite” lifestyle but still need occasional access to a car. Another group benefiting: commuters who leave their cars at home and ride the bus, carpool, bike, or walk to work. When SunRail starts in spring 2014, it is expected that the Hertz 24/7 program will make the transition to riding the train to work easier for those who are used to having their own car to run errands during the day.
Rates will start around $8 an hour depending on the type of vehicle rented and will include fuel and insurance. Enrollment in the program is required in advance, but can be done for free at Hertz247.com.
This first phase of the Central Florida Carshare Program will include vehicles at the following locations:
- Lot 10 at Hughey Avenue and Central Boulevard (2 vehicles)
- CNL parking garage on Boone Avenue behind City Hall (2 vehicles)
- Creative Village on Alexander Place at the end of the LYMMO line (2 vehicles)
- Thornton Park neighborhood at Central Boulevard and Eola Drive (2 vehicles)
- Landmark Center on Broadway Avenue at Robinson Street (2 vehicles)
- Florida Hospital Orlando Campus at Sanitarium Avenue and Rollins Street (2 vehicles)
Updates on the Central Florida carshare program will be posted at www.reThinkYourCommute.com. Additional information is also available by calling 1-866-610-RIDE (7433).
Consistent, Predictable, Repeatable