WHAT: Florida International University and the American Cancer Society are teaming up for the 10th Annual FIU Relay for Life, an overnight walk to raise money for cancer research and support services for patients. The 2014 goal for FIU Relay for Life is 100 teams and $100,000. The event is expected to draw more than 4,000 people. Since its inception in 2004, FIU Relay for Life has donated approximately $700,000 to the American Cancer Society.
WHEN: Begins Friday, February 28, at 6 p.m. and ends Saturday morning, March 1
WHERE: Ryder Business Loop (in front of the Ryder Business Building) at FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus, 11200 SW 8th Street, west Miami-Dade County.
- During the event, at least one member of each team is walking the loop at all times.
- The event begins with a Cancer Survivors Lap celebrating those who have survived cancer or who are currently battling cancer.
- Later in the evening, the Luminaria Ceremony, made up of hundreds of candlelit bags, remembers those who have experienced cancer and illuminates the walking loop.
- Games, music, live entertainment and pep rallies encourage participants throughout the night.
- FIU Relay for Life also includes a hair-cutting ceremony, where more than 200 girls are expected to cut eight inches or more of their hair in partnership with Pantene Beautiful Lengths, which provides funds to turn donated hair into free, real-hair wigs for women battling hair loss as a result of cancer treatment.
Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. Its colleges and schools offer more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida¹s anchor institutions, FIU is Worlds Ahead in its local and global engagement, finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded 200,000 degrees and enrolls 50,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.