Please see our response below to Tom Steyer’s “Shock” TV ad, where he attempts to rewrite history on nuclear plants.
Rick Scott for Florida
STATEMENT FROM MATT MOON, COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR,
RICK SCOTT FOR FLORIDA:
“Tom Steyer’s new ad for Charlie Crist is a sad attempt to rewrite Charlie’s own dirty history. The truth is CHARLIE CRIST was the Governor who signed a law to raise utility costs by expanding the nuclear cost recovery statute. Tom Steyer doesn’t want Florida to know that Rick Scott is the ONLY Governor in Florida history who signed a bill approving changes to this law that limited risk and therefore helps reduce costs to ratepayers.
“Tom Steyer and Charlie Crist are polluter pals. But, all their dirty money combined can’t change the fact that another four years of Charlie Crist would be Florida utility rate payers’ worst nightmare.”
IT WAS CHARLIE CRIST WHO LEFT TAXPAYERS ON THE HOOK
CLAIM: NextGen Climate Action Committee Florida Claims Rick Scott Is Letting Duke Energy “Fleece Floridians” With A Nuclear Power Plant That Was “Never Built” In Levy County. (NextGen Climate Action Committee – Florida, “Shock” Ad, 8/8/14)
FACT: It Was Charlie Crist Who Approved The Levy County Nuclear Power Plant Whose Construction Was Eventually Cancelled.
- AUGUST 2009: “Governor Charlie Crist … Approved Progress Energy Florida’s Site Request For Construction Of A Nuclear Facility On A 3,105-Acre Location In Levy County.”(Press Release, Florida Cabinet Approves Site Certification For Progress Energy Florida’s Levy Nuclear Plant, Florida Department Of Environmental Protection, 8/11/2009)
- AUGUST 2009: Charlie Crist Claimed Levy Nuclear Plant Would Create Jobs, Saying “I Appreciate What Progress Is Doing.” (Transcript, Cabinet Meeting, 8/11/2009)
- AUGUST 2013: “Duke Energy Cancels Contract For Levy County Nuclear-Power Plants.” (Bruce Henderson, “Duke Energy Cancels Contract For Levy County Nuclear-Power Plants,” McClatchy-Tribune, 8/1/2013)
WHILE CHARLIE CRIST IS THE ONLY GOVERNOR WHO EXPANDED UTILITIES’ ABILITY TO INCREASE CUSTOMERS’ BILLS UNDER “NUCLEAR COST RECOVERY” LAW …
CLAIM: NextGen Climate Action Committee Florida Claims Rick Scott Is Letting Duke Energy “Fleece Floridians” With “Defective Power Plant” In Crystal River. (NextGen Climate Action Committee – Florida, “Shock” Ad, 8/8/14)
FACT: Charlie Crist Is The Only Governor Who Signed Law Expanding Nuclear Cost Recovery Law, Allowing Utilities To Recover Costs Regarding Transmission Lines And Other Related Costs Of Nuclear Plants, Increasing Their Ability To Hike Customers’ Bills. (HB 7135, 2008 Legislature)
… IT WAS RICK SCOTT WHO SIGNED LEGISLATION THAT “REIGNED IN UTILITES’ ACCESS TO CONSUMERS’ WALLETS”
CLAIM: NextGen Climate Action Committee Florida Claims Rick Scott Is Letting Duke Energy “Fleece Floridians” Nuclear Power Plants. (NextGen Climate Action Committee – Florida, “Shock” Ad, 8/8/14)
FACT: It Was Governor Scott Who Signed Legislation Last Year That Makes It Harder For Utilities To Charge Floridians More For “Nuclear Cost Recovery” From The Crystal River And Levy County Plants.
- Last Year, Governor Scott Signed Amendments To “Nuclear Cost Recovery Act” To Protect Consumers And Create “Benchmarks Aimed At Great Transparency And Accountability From Public Utilities In The State.” “Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed into law Friday amendments to the controversial Nuclear Cost Recovery Act, adding protections for consumers and benchmarks aimed at greater transparency and accountability from public utilities in the state. The governor signed S.B. 1472, which scaled back the 2006 statute by forcing utilities that use the statute to recover costs for nuclear power plants to begin construction within 10 years of receiving a license from the National Regulatory Commission. Under the new law, utilities will also have to petition the state’s Public Service Commission, which approves any cost recovery under the statute, before beginning construction, according to a staff analysis of the bill. The PSC must at that point determine if the project is still feasible and if the projected costs are reasonable before the utility can recover construction costs, according to the analysis.” (Carolina Bolado, “Fla. Reforms Controversial Nuclear Cost Recovery Act,” Law 360, 6/17/13)
- This Legislation “Toughens Guidelines For Using Nuclear Advance Fee.” “In the short term, Duke Energy can keep collecting the “advance fee” money already approved for the Levy County nuclear plant. But, in the future, it will get a little harder for the utility to charge customers more. The Florida Senate with a 40-0 vote Thursday gave final approval to a bill that adds tougher guidelines for use of the advance fee.” (Ivan Penn and Mary Ellen Klas, “Florida Lawmakers Toughen Guidelines For Using Nuclear Advance Fee,” The Miami Herald, 5/2/14)
- Environmental Organization Praised The Bill As “An Important Step Toward Reigning In The Utilities’ Access To Consumers’ Wallets.” “The Southern Alliance for Clean Energy … called S.B. 1472 … an important step toward reining in the utilities’ access to consumers’ wallets.” (Carolina Bolado, “Fla. Reforms Controversial Nuclear Cost Recovery Act,” Law360, 6/17/14)
NO SURPRISE THAT NEXTGEN’S TOM STEYER IS HELPING CHARLIE CRIST – BOTH ARE HYPOCRITES WHEN IT COMES TO THE ENVIRONMENT
CLAIM: NextGen Climate Action Committee Florida Says Rick Scott Is “For The Powerful Few, Not You.” (NextGen Climate Action Committee – Florida, “Fountain” Ad, 8/8/14)
FACT: Founder Of NextGen Climate Action Committee, Tom Steyer, Is A “Hypocrite” On Environmental Issues.
- Calgary Herald: “Two Words Best Describe Tom Steyer, The California Billionaire Who Has Made It A Personal Crusade To Attack Canada’s Oilsands: Opportunistic And Hypocritical.”(Editorial, “Tom Steyer’s Grand Hypocrisy,” Calgary Herald, 9/16/13)
- The New York Times: “Detractors See Hypocrisy: As Coal Linked To Mr. Steyer’s Previous Investments Burns In Asian Power Plants, He Is Spending A Fortune Earned From Those Investments To Help Shutter Similar Plants In The United States.”(Michael Barbaro and Coral Davenport, “Aims Of Donor Are Shadowed By Past In Coal,” The New York Times, 7/4/14)
FACT: Charlie Crist Only Embraces Environmental Issues When Politically Convenient, Flies To Environmental Events In Polluter Planes.
- According To The Tampa Bay Times, Crist Cancelled “Climate Change Summit” In 2009 To Help His Prospects As A Republican Candidate For The United States Senate. (Craig Pittman, “For Gov. Charlie Crist, It’s Not Easy Being Green,” The Tampa Bay Times, 11/27/2009)
- Miami Herald: “Charlie Crist Flies To Enviro Press Conference – On Jet Of Developer Fined For Pollution” “Democrat Charlie Crist flew to an environmental press event [Friday] on the private jet of a developer fined for pollution. Almost as soon Crist stepped off the 2005 Cessna 560XL, Gov. Rick Scott’s campaign had photographed its tail number and traced its ownership to developer James Finch, whose company Phoenix Construction was fined at least twice for violating environmental rules …” (Marc Caputo, “Charlie Crist Flies To Enviro Press Conference – On Jet Of Developer Fined For Pollution,” The Miami Herald, 7/28/14)
POLITICAL ADVERTISEMENT PAID FOR AND APPROVED
BY RICK SCOTT, REPUBLICAN, FOR GOVERNOR