A1A Reconstruction Project
From Sunrise Boulevard to NE 18 Street in Fort Lauderdale
August 11, 2014 – Crews from Florida Department of Transportation’s (FDOT) contractor, Russell Engineering, Inc., and their sub-contractors, began work on this $11.8 million project July 28 and expect to be completed by late December 2015.
- Traffic shifts have been made and new pavement markings have been put down through the project limits.
- Placement of concrete barrier wall segments and construction barrels is nearly completed.
- The speed limit through the project limits has been reduced to 25 MPH.
- One travel lane in each direction is open at all times.
- Access to side streets and residential driveways is open at all times. To limit traffic backups through-traffic should yield to turning vehicles.
- Motor vehicles will share the road with bicycles throughout the project limits.
- A sidewalk will be maintained on one side of A1A at all times. For safety reasons pedestrians, joggers, bicyclists and beachgoers are not allowed to cross through the work zones. Directional signs are in place indicating pedestrian crossings and beach access points.
- Parking is restricted throughout the project limits.
- Crews have begun removing the old sea wall and sidewalk along the east side of A1A beginning at Sunrise Boulevard. This work will progress northward. In this area, the sidewalk is closed and beach access points are restricted. Directional signs are in place indicating pedestrian crossings and beach access points.
- The removal of existing asphalt is expected to begin this week. This activity can be very noisy.
- Crews are scheduled to be on site Monday through Saturday between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.
The A1A Reconstruction Team thanks our project neighbors for their patience and cooperation during this work.
Reminder: FDOT and our project partners are holding an informal open house Tuesday, August 12, from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Galleria Mall on East Sunrise Boulevard (Upper Level outside Dillard’s) to answer questions about the construction project. No formal presentation will be made. Our staff will be on hand with project renderings and displays to discuss the project one-on-one.
If you know someone that would like to receive these project email updates, please send their address to Barbara.Kelleher@dot.state.fl.us with a Subject line of A1A Updates and remind them to put this address on their ‘safe sender’ list. Also, you can follow us on Twitter @MyFDOT_SEFL.
Should you have any questions or concerns about this project, please contact FDOT’s Public Information Office at 954-777-4090.
Consistent, Predictable, Repeatable
Public Information Director
FDOT District Four