FIU College of Business Honors Alumni Achievement
and Community Impact at 2014 Hall of Fame Gala
MIAMI (Aug. 20, 2014) – The founder of a home-grown global fashion brand, a philanthropist committed to the arts and education, and the manager of a top New York asset management fund are among five FIU College of Business alumni who will be inducted into the 2014 FIU Hall of Fame. In addition, philanthropist R. Kirk Landon will receive the 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award.
Landon will be recognized for his success in the world of business and banking and his efforts to cement the educational, civic and cultural foundation of South Florida. He served CEO and chairman of the board of American Bankers Insurance Group for two decades, and now serves as a director and supporter of major educational and cultural organizations in South Florida through The Kirk Foundation and The Kirk A. and Dorothy P. Landon Foundation.
Pamela Silva Conde (MBA ‘12, BS in Communication ‘03), Emmy award winning journalist and co-anchor of Univision Network’s weekday TV newsmagazine show, “Primer Impacto,” will serve as MC of the ceremony, which will take place on September 12, 2014 at 7:30 p.m. at the FIU Arena.
The 2014 Hall of Fame inductees:
- Eric Maldonado, managing director at Markit, a global provider of financial information services, will receive the Innovation Award. He is a member of the Dean’s Council, the college’s primary advisory board.
- Alexander Mijares, COO of precision sheet metal company MJM Manufacturing and a prominent local artist, will receive The Young Alumnus Spotlight Award. As part of his art-inspired philanthropic work, he develops projects with at-risk children and young artists.
- Alina Villasante, creator of global fashion brand Peace Love World, will receive The Entrepreneurship Award. The Miami-based company has seven stores in South Florida and three in Hong Kong and the brand is sold in 2,000-plus retailers worldwide.
- Guillermo G. Castillo, president, middle market banking JP Morgan Chase, will receive The Growth Award. He led the build-out of the Commercial Banking business franchise in South Florida.
- Randy Robertson, managing director, BlackRock, will receive The Global Award. Founded in 1988, BlackRock is the largest asset management company in the U.S. today with $4.3 trillion under management.
Celebrating its 15th anniversary, the Hall of Fame has expanded into a three-day event, September 11-13, that now includes the gala ceremony, an alumni panel and networking event on September 11, and a tailgate party at the Panthers vs. Pittsburgh football game on September 13.
About the College of Business:
Florida International University’s College of Business, South Florida’s leading business school with unique expertise in international business, entrepreneurship, healthcare management, and a broad range of financial services, is the largest of the university’s professional schools. Among the college’s more than 36,000 alumni are some of South Florida’s most successful business leaders and entrepreneurs. More than 6,000 students are enrolled in undergraduate business courses in its R. Kirk Landon Undergraduate School of Business and more than 2,000 graduate students study in its Alvah H. Chapman Jr. Graduate School of Business every year. Another 1,000 business professionals participate annually in one or more of its professional and executive education programs. For more information, visit http://business.fiu.edu.
Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. Its colleges and schools offer more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU is Worlds Ahead in its local and global engagement, finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 50,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.