Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam today visited the Greenway Fire in Collier County. The Greenway Fire is 16,876 acres and is 50 percent contained.
Currently, there are 52 active wildfires in Florida burning 27,870 acres.
Significant Wildfires in Florida:
- Greenway Fire (Collier County): 16,876 acres and 50 percent contained.
- Flag Pond Fire (Collier County): 2,578, 100 percent contained.
- West Boundary Fire (Hendry County): 2,629 acres and 80 percent contained
- Firebreak (Gulf County): 2,000 acres and 45 percent contained.
- Shamrock Dr. Fire (Lee County): 20 acres and 100 percent contained.
Resources Deployed to Southwest Florida:
- State Firefighting Bulldozers: 11
- Fire District & State Brush Trucks: 15
- Fire District Water Tenders: 2
- State Firefighting Super Huey Helicopter: 1
- State Firefighter Fixed-Wing: 1
The Florida Forest Service is urging residents to be cautious with fire and heat sources and to remember the following:
- Develop and implement a family wildfire action plan;
- Call 911 or a local Florida Forest Service field unit office immediately in the event of a wildfire;
- Obey Florida’s outdoor burning laws;
- Never burn on windy days;
- Always keep a water source and suppression tools on hand when burning yard debris;
- Never leave an outdoor fire or hot grill unattended; and
- Avoid parking vehicles on dry grass.
The Florida Forest Service, a division of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, manages more than 1 million acres of state forests and provides forest management assistance on more than 17 million acres of private and community forests. The Florida Forest Service is also responsible for protecting homes, forestland and natural resources from the devastating effects of wildfire on more than 26 million acres.