Five transportation leaders to be interviewed May 11th
The Florida Transportation Commission today chose five candidates to be interviewed for the position of Secretary of the Florida Department of Transportation. The finalists will be interviewed on Thursday, May 11 from 1 to 4 p.m., Eastern Daylight Time.
The finalists, their interview times, in chronological order, are:
- 1:05 p.m. – Ronald Howse, P.E./P.S.M., commissioner, Florida Transportation Commission
- 1:40 p.m. – Phillip W. Gainer, P.E., district secretary, Florida Department of Transportation
- 2:15 p.m. – Richard M. Biter, former assistant secretary of Intermodal Systems Development, Florida Department of Transportation
- 2:50 p.m. – Michael J. Dew, chief of staff, Florida Department of Transportation
- 3:25 p.m. – Gene Conti, former secretary, North Carolina Department of Transportation
All interviews will be conducted using GoToWebinar®. Information on how to access the interviews via GoToWebinar® on a computer or via telephone will be available on our website early next week.
Following interviews, the Commission will meet on Wednesday, May 17 in Tallahassee to recommend three candidates for consideration by the Governor. The Secretary will then be appointed by, and serve at the pleasure of, the Governor of Florida.
On Monday, January 23, Governor Rick Scott announced the resignation of Secretary Jim Boxold, who began his appointment on January 3, 2015, effective February 3, 2017. Assistant Secretary for Finance and Administration Rachel Cone has been serving as Interim Secretary since that date.
The Florida Transportation Commission is an appointed body that provides performance and fiscal oversight of the FDOT, and makes transportation policy recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature.