Diaz calls today a landmark in Florida education reform
and praises Scott for his support of education choice.
State Representative Manny Diaz today joined Governor Rick Scott in Orlando as he signed House Bill 7069 into law.
“Today is a landmark day for education reform in Florida,” said Diaz. “I commend the Governor for continuing his steadfast support for educational choice and opportunities. Florida once again leads the nation in bold, innovative education policy. I also want to thank Speaker Corcoran for his bold leadership and Chairmen Bileca, Raburn and Latvala for their work on this great legislation for Florida families.”
House Bill 7069 includes a number of important provisions that will strengthen the state’s education system, including:
- Record-high funding, most of which will go directly to the classroom, teachers, and principals
- $30 million to ensure students with special needs maintain their scholarship through the Gardner Scholarship Program
- Funds to reward teacher excellence with bonuses
- Creation of the Schools of Excellence Program to provide administrative flexibility for the highest-performing schools
- $140 million to turn around failing schools through the Schools of Hope Program
- Streamlined testing requirements
- Mandatory 20-minute recess for all K-5 traditional public school students
As Chair of the PreK-12 Appropriations Subcommittee, Diaz took a leading role in crafting and passing the bill. He also serves on the Education Committee and is an education professional.
ON THE WEB: www.VoteMannyDiazJr.com