Learn About Proposed Safety Improvements
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) will hold a public hearing on Thursday, Oct. 10, about proposed improvements on Apopka-Vineland Road (State Road (S.R.) 535) from Lake Bryan Beach Boulevard to Vineland Avenue. Proposed improvements include:
- Installing mast arms, traffic signals, crosswalks and pedestrian signals at the intersections of Apopka-Vineland Road with Vistana Drive, Vistana Center Drive, Meadow Creek Drive, and at the Chick-Fil-A entrance;
- Modifying intersections to restrict the incoming and outgoing side streets on Apopka-Vineland Road (S.R. 535) to right turn movements only (left turn movements will be allowed downstream via U-turn at signalized intersections);
- Closing sidewalk gaps;
- Adding transit stop boarding areas with concrete landing pads;
- Upgrading signage and pavement markings;
- Adding bicycle lanes;
- Enhancing pedestrian features to comply with current Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements; and
- Installing lighting.
The hearing will be at the Rosen JCC Event Center, 11184 S. Apopka-Vineland Road, Orlando, and will begin as an informational open house at 5 p.m. where videos, virtual reality devices, displays and other project information will be available for review. Staff also will be available to discuss the project and answer questions. A presentation will begin at 6 p.m., followed by public comments.
Persons with disabilities who require accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, or persons who require translation services (free of charge), should contact Megan Owens by phone at 386-943-5140, or via email at [email protected], at least seven (7) days prior to the meeting. If you are hearing or speech impaired, please contact us by using the Florida Relay Service, 1-800-955-8771 (TDD) or 1-800-955-8770 (Voice).
Public participation is solicited without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability or family status. Persons wishing to express their concerns relative to FDOT compliance with Title VI may do so by contacting Jennifer Smith, FDOT District Five Title VI Coordinator, at [email protected].
Media inquiries should be directed to the FDOT Communications Office at [email protected] or by phone at 386-943-5479. Project information is also available online at CFLRoads.com.
FDOT urges all drivers to stay alert and use caution while driving through or near construction zones. When driving, walking, or bicycling, remember to pay attention and follow the rules. Safety doesn’t happen by accident.