With the first of two party conventions underway this week, the American Petroleum Institute released new polling conducted by Morning Consult showing six in 10 Florida voters would be more likely to vote for candidates who support access to natural gas and oil produced in the U.S. The polling also shows an overwhelming majority of Florida voters value American energy security and affordability and believe it is important for the U.S. not to rely on foreign energy sources.
“As we approach the election, it is clear a majority of Florida voters know and support the critical role the natural gas and oil industry plays in driving the economic recovery, keeping energy costs low and protecting national security,” API President and CEO Mike Sommers said. “U.S. energy leadership has been a priority of every one of our last seven presidents, Democrat and Republican – a trend this polling shows Florida voters want to see continue. Proposals to ban U.S. energy production are out of step with bipartisan support for an all-of-the-above energy approach and would set America back by returning us to the days of relying on foreign energy.”
A new analysis prepared by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) outlines how the U.S. natural gas and oil industry is a key economic driver in Florida, supporting over 450,000 jobs and contributing nearly $50 billion to the state’s economy in 2018.
- Six in ten Florida voters, including a majority of Democrats and Independents, would be more likely to vote for a candidate who supports access to oil and gas produced in the U.S.
- 95 percent of voters believe it is important to produce enough energy so the U.S. is not as reliant on other countries for oil.
- 91 percent of voters believe it is important to keep energy and gasoline prices affordable.
- 55 percent of voters in Florida, including 58 percent of Independents, believe the natural gas and oil industry will have an important role in helping the economy recover from the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
- 70 percent of respondents think natural gas and oil provide a value to their life.
- 73 percent of voters agree that our country’s national security has increased because America is producing more natural gas and oil.
Click here to view the poll.
The poll, by Morning Consult, was conducted online between June 26-29, 2020 among a sample of 794 Florida registered voters.
API represents all segments of America’s natural gas and oil industry. Its more than 600 members produce, process, and distribute most of the nation’s energy. The industry supports more than ten million U.S. jobs and is backed by a growing grassroots movement of millions of Americans. API was formed in 1919 as a standards-setting organization. In our first 100 years, API has developed more than 700 standards to enhance operational and environmental safety, efficiency and sustainability.
To learn more about API and the value of oil and natural gas, please visit API.org.