The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity today announced Florida has experienced nine consecutive months of month-over-month job growth, gaining 1,700 private sector jobs in the month of January 2021. From April 2020 to January 2021, Florida has gained a total of 714,900 private sector jobs. Florida’s unemployment rate for January 2021 decreased to 4.8 percent, far below the national average of 6.3 percent.
“Florida’s economy remains resilient under Governor DeSantis’ leadership as we continue to see sustained month-over-month job growth,” said Dane Eagle, Executive Director of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. “Governor DeSantis has kept our state open for business, and I am proud of the work we have done to ensure Floridians continue to return to the workforce.”
Due to the unprecedented economic changes that occurred this past year, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics updated the statistical models that produce labor force, employment, unemployment, and the unemployment rate estimates. Florida’s annual 2019 and 2020 unemployment rate revisions, reflecting the model changes, can be found, here.
Florida Economic Indicators for January 2021 include:
- Unemployment rate is 4.8 percent. (December 2020’s unemployment rate has been revised down to 5.1 percent, from the previously reported rate of 6.1 percent).
- Florida businesses gained 1,700 private sector jobs over the month.
- Labor force was up 25,000 over the month, bringing the January 2021 total up to 10,069,000.
- Florida’s private sector over the year job rate decline was 6.5 percent in January 2021. This in an improvement from 14.3 percent in April 2020.
- Private sector industries gaining the most jobs over-the-month were:
- Trade, Transportation, and Utilities with 4,400 new jobs
- Construction with 3,500 new jobs
- Education and Health Services with 3,200 new jobs
- Other Services with 1,700 new jobs
- Consumer Sentiment Index was 82.6 in January 2021, 0.4 point higher than the December revised figure of 82.2.
To view the January 2021 jobs reports by region, please see below:
To view the January 2021 employment data visit www.floridajobs.org/labor-market-information/labor-market-information-press-releases/monthly-press-releases. Visit Florida Insight, for more information on labor market and economic data. Additionally, the Department has provided a video to assist users in explaining the data provided throughFlorida Insight and the new platform.
To view today’s presentation, click here.
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity combines the state’s economic, workforce and community development efforts, expediting economic development projects to fuel job creation in competitive communities and promote economic resiliency. For more information, including valuable resources for employers and job seekers, please visit www.FloridaJobs.org.