State of the City Address Touts City’s Commitment
to Growth, Investment, and Quality of Life
The City of North Miami Beach and Mayor Anthony F. DeFillipo celebrated the City’s accomplishments and unveiled plans for its prosperous future during Monday evening’s virtual State of the City Address. Reflecting his passion for the community he serves, Mayor DeFillipo recapped the City’s successes and impressive achievements in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mayor DeFillipo celebrated the ability to maintain full City Hall operations during these difficult times, and the financial stability that allowed the City to retain all staff without furloughs or layoffs. “We have remained open and ready to serve you,” said the mayor.
With numerous recent projects including multifamily developments, multiple mixed-use projects, and larger-scale redevelopments, North Miami Beach is invested in enhancing economic development, public safety, neighborhood investments, and the quality of life for residents and visitors.
Additional achievements and projections touched on during the mayor’s address included:
- Distributing more than 300,000 pounds of food to over 10,000 families through home deliveries and distribution events.
- Providing free COVID testing and multiple vaccination opportunities, including at-home vaccination efforts for homebound residents.
- Distributing nearly 500,000 KN-95 masks to the community at the onset of the pandemic
- Developing two programs through the CARES Act that allocated approximately $335,000 for residential assistance and $500,000 for non-residential assistance.
- Completing a transition from a contractor-operated water utility to a fully City-operated program, NMB Water, within an incredible six-month time frame and without any disruption to service or quality.
- Receiving a Children’s Trust grant for the third consecutive year, which partially funds NMB Parks and Recreation’s afterschool and camp programs.
- Winning the GFOA Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting for the 30th consecutive year.
- Issuing over $95 million in bonds/loans to fund capital improvements in the CIty’s water and sewer systems.
A strong, thriving, multicultural and dynamic city of the future, North Miami Beach has cultivated an unprecedented amount of investment over the last decade and is ideally positioned for this positive trend to grow. As the City prepares to celebrate its 95th anniversary, North Miami Beach continues its forward momentum in 2021 looking to a bright future ahead.
For the video footage of Mayor DeFillipo’s full State of the City Address, please visit the City’s Facebook page: www.facebook.com/citynmb.