The Florida Lottery (Lottery) announces its tenth consecutive record-breaking year with an estimated $9.07 billion in annual sales for fiscal year 2020-21. As a result, the Lottery anticipates more than $2.2 billion in contributions to the state’s Educational Enhancement Trust Fund (EETF), shattering all previous fiscal year transfer records!
“The Lottery’s sole mission is to maximize revenues for the enhancement of public education,” said Florida Lottery Secretary John F. Davis. “This year’s contributions to education have exceeded $2 billion for the first time in the Lottery’s 33-year history – a feat we are incredibly proud of! I want to thank our retail partners, loyal players, and dedicated employees who remain committed to ensuring Florida continues to be among the very best Lotteries in the nation.”
Strong Scratch-Off sales of more than $6.8 billion helped account for the majority of the success this fiscal year, including 52 consecutive weeks where Scratch-Off sales were over $100 million. In January, ticket sales exceeded $239.8 million for the week ending January 17, setting a new industry record for the highest sales week on record of any Lottery in the country. This record-breaking sales week surpassed the previous single-week sales record, also held by Florida, of $230.7 million for the week ending January 10, 2016.
Over the past 33 years, the Florida Lottery has firmly established itself as a dependable funding source for public education, contributing more than $1 billion annually for each of the past 19 consecutive fiscal years.
- Since 1988, the Florida Lottery has contributed more than $39 billion to education; transferring more than $1 billion to education for each of the past 19 years.
- More than $6.8 billion in Bright Futures scholarships have been awarded to more than 880,000 students in Florida.
- Florida’s public schools (Pre-K and K-12 programs) have received more than $21.2 billion since the Lottery’s inception.
- Florida’s state colleges and universities have also benefited, receiving a combined total of more than $10.5 billion since the Lottery’s inception.
- The Lottery broke all sales records in fiscal year 2020-21, reaching more than $9.07 billion in sales and surpassing last year’s sales of $7.50 billion by more than $1.5 billion.
- Since 1988, Florida Lottery games have paid more than $75.6 billion in prizes and created over 3,000 millionaires.
ABOUT THE FLORIDA LOTTERY
The Florida Lottery is responsible for contributing more than $39 billion to education and sending more than 880,000 students to college through the Bright Futures Scholarship Program. The Florida Lottery reinvests 99 percent of its revenue back into Florida’s economy through prize payouts, commissions to more than 13,000 Florida retailers, and transfers to education. Since 1988, Florida Lottery games have paid more than $75.6 billion in prizes and made more than 3,000 people millionaires. For more information, please visit www.flalottery.com.