Florida’s labor force grows by 83,000, the largest increase since July 2020
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity today announced Florida has experienced 15 consecutive months of job growth, gaining 63,900 private sector jobs over the month. This is the largest monthly increase in private sector jobs since June 2020. In total, Florida has gained 964,400 jobs since the height of the pandemic.
For 12 consecutive months, Florida’s unemployment rate, currently at 5.1%, has remained below the national rate of 5.4%. The change in Florida’s unemployment rate (up 0.1 percentage point from June) reflects the significant increase in the labor force of 83,000 over the month, the largest increase since July 2020. This increase shows that Florida’s workforce continues to substantially grow. Data in the month of July indicates that there continues to be many job opportunities available for Floridians throughout the state, with more than 545,000 jobs posted online. Florida’s unemployment rate has dramatically lowered over the year, decreasing by 6.4 percentage points.
“Under the leadership of Governor DeSantis, Florida’s economy continues to provide widespread job opportunities across the state, indicated by 15 consecutive months of job growth,” said Secretary Dane Eagle of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. “Florida’s unemployment rate continues to remain below the national average, and more people continue to return to the workforce, showing that Florida remains a leader in economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Florida Economic Indicators for July 2021 include:
- Unemployment rate is 5.1 percent.
- Florida businesses gained 63,900 private sector jobs over the month.
- Labor force was up 83,000 over the month, bringing the July 2021 total up to 10,479,000.
- Florida’s private sector employment increased by 379,900, or 5.2%, over the year.
- Private sector industries gaining the most jobs over-the-month were
- Leisure and Hospitality with 25,600 new jobs
- Education and Health Services with 10,000 new jobs
- Professional and Business Services with 9,100 new jobs
- Other Services with 8,100 new jobs
- Trade, Transportation, and Utilities with 7,100 new jobs
- Consumer Sentiment Index was 84.1 in July 2021, an increase of 2.2 points compared to the revised June figure of 81.9.
To view the July 2021 jobs reports by region, please see below:
West Palm Beach
To view the July 2021 employment data visit: www.floridajobs.org/labor-market-information/labor-market-information-press-releases/monthly-press-releases.
Visit Florida Insight, for more information on labor market and economic data. Additionally, the Department has provided a video to assist users in explaining the data provided through Florida Insight and the new platform.
Floridians in search of work and new job opportunities are encouraged to turn to the CareerSource Florida network for help. Floridians can find guidance to register with Employ Florida and search listings of available local job openings. Career seekers also can improve employability assistance, perfecting resume writing, interviewing skills, establishing career goals, and pursuing customized career training. These services are provided at no cost to job seekers.
To view today’s presentation, please click here.