The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) District Four and Broward County are hosting three Alternatives Public Workshops for the BCR PD&E Study, which runs from Deerfield Beach to Aventura, including six stations, and a new crossing of the New River. This study is being developed in coordination with Miami-Dade County’s Northeast Corridor project that will provide a connection to other cities within Miami-Dade County and the Miami Central Station. A PD&E study is FDOT’s process toevaluate the social, economic, and environmental beneﬁts and impacts associated with a planned transportation improvement project.The objective of the BCR PD&E Study is to develop and analyze alternatives that integrate passenger rail and freight rail service alongthe Florida East Coast (FEC) Railway. The project team is planning to present a recommendation to the Broward County Commission of a Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA) after these Alternatives Public Workshops, which will identify the general station locations and the recommended alternative for the crossing of the New River. A decision on an LPA is necessary to advance into the Federal Transit Administration’s (FTA) Project Development process which will allow the project to compete for federal funds through the FTA Capital Improvement Grant program.
The FDOT will host three options to attend the Alternatives Public Workshop (two virtual and one in-person) to encourage as much participation as possible from the communities. Registration for all workshops is available at www.browardcommuterrailstudy.com. Below are the times, dates, locations, and information for those that wish to join by phone.
- Thursday, January 27, 2022, beginning at 3 p.m. to be held virtually. To attend by phone only call toll free 1-877-309-2074, access code 146-171-718.
- Thursday, January 27, 2022, beginning at 6:30 p.m. to be held virtually. To attend by phone only call toll free 1-877-309-2074, access code 125-404-365.
- Monday, January 31, 2022, beginning at 6:30 p.m. The In-Person Alternatives Public Workshop will be held at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, 201 SW 5th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312.
- Parking is available at no charge in the public garage located at the corner of SW 5th Avenue and SW 2nd Street, across from the Performing Arts Center.
- The latest social distancing requirements will be followed.
Public participation is solicited without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, or family status. Persons who require special accommodations under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) or persons who require translation services (free of charge) should contact Mr. Phil Schwab, P.E., Project Manager at [email protected] or 954-777-4524 or toll free at 866-336-8435 ext. 4524 at least seven days prior to the Alternatives Public Workshop.
For media inquiries, please contact: FDOT Communications Manager, Guillermo “Billy” Canedo at 954-777-4302, or by email at [email protected].