The American Petroleum Institute (API) released new polling today conducted by Morning Consult showing the vast majority of voters in Florida support the United States developing its own energy sources rather than relying on other regions of the world.
A similarly strong majority of Florida voters across both parties say that producing natural gas and oil here in the U.S. could help lower energy costs for American consumers and small businesses while strengthening America’s national security. Lastly, the new poll shows that more than 9 in 10 Florida voters are concerned about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and 8 in 10 believe the current energy crisis in Europe shows what can happen when nations depend on energy production from foreign sources that have agendas of their own.
“Energy security is not a partisan issue. This polling demonstrates that Floridians value a strong domestic energy industry that protects them both at the pump and on the world stage,” said Gifford Briggs, API Gulf Coast Region Director. “Providing clarity on natural gas and oil leasing, permitting energy infrastructure and completing work on a five-year offshore program are all actions the administration can take right now to encourage domestic production and ensure American energy security in the face of threats like Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.”
- More than 8 in 10 Florida voters (88%) support the U.S. developing its own domestic sources of energy rather than relying on other regions of the world.
- More than 9 in 10 Florida voters (95%) say they are concerned about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
- Eight in 10 Florida voters (83%) say the current situation in Europe shows what can happen when nations depend on energy production from foreign sources that have agendas of their own. Further, they say the U.S. needs policies that allow more American-made energy to ensure access to affordable, reliable energy for consumers and small businesses.
- Eight in 10 Florida voters (84%) believe that producing natural gas and oil here in the U.S. helps make our country and allies more secure against actions by other countries such as Russia.
- Eight in 10 Florida voters (82%) believe that producing natural gas and oil here in the U.S. helps America maintain a leadership role during a period of global uncertainty.
- More than 8 in 10 Florida voters (85%) believe that producing natural gas and oil here in the U.S. could help lower energy costs for American consumers and small businesses.
Click here to view the full poll.
In 2019, the natural gas and oil industry supported over 460,000 Florida jobs and contributed nearly $50 billion to the state’s economy. API has called on the Biden administration to advance key energy policies that will incentivize domestic production in Florida and across the country and send a clear message that America is open for energy investment.
This poll was conducted by Morning Consult on behalf of API on March 1-5, 2022, among a sample of 695 Florida registered voters. The interviews were conducted online and the data was weighted to approximate a target sample of Registered Voters based on gender by age, educational attainment, race, marital status, home ownership, race by educational attainment, and 2020 presidential vote. Results from the full survey have a margin of error of plus or minus four percentage points.
API represents all segments of America’s natural gas and oil industry, which supports more than 11 million U.S. jobs and is backed by a growing grassroots movement of millions of Americans. Our nearly 600 members produce, process and distribute the majority of the nation’s energy, and participate in API Energy Excellence®, which is accelerating environmental and safety progress by fostering new technologies and transparent reporting. API was formed in 1919 as a standards-setting organization and has developed more than 700 standards to enhance operational and environmental safety, efficiency and sustainability.