Florida Commissioner of Education Manny Diaz, Jr. today announced September’s chosen books for the Commissioner’s Book of the Month, a monthly reading challenge to promote literacy and reading engagement in preK-12 schools. Each month, Commissioner Diaz highlights five recommended books – one per selected grade range.
“This month’s books celebrate Hispanic heritage and feature Spanish-speaking authors,” said Education Commissioner Manny Diaz, Jr. “Throughout these stories of resiliency, redemption, friendship, loyalty and sportsmanship, readers will experience a devotion to culture and a passion for literacy.”
The Commissioner’s recommendations for September 2023 are:
- PreK – Rin, Rin, Rin/Do, Re, Mi by José-Luis Orozco
- Grades K-2 – Amigo by Carlos Zamora
- Grades 3-5 – A Taste of the Mexican Market – El Gusto Del Mercado Mexicano by Nancy María Grande Tabor
- Grades 6-8 – Julieta and the Diamond Enigma by Luisana Duarte Armendáriz
- Grades 9-12 – The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton
The selections for each month can be found on the Commissioner’s Book of the Month page of the FDOE website.
For more information about the Florida Department of Education, visit www.fldoe.org.