Chief Financial Officer and State Fire Marshal Jeff Atwater will present the annual Florida Fire Service Awards during a reception hosted Monday, April 10, at 5:30 p.m. on the 22nd floor of the Florida Capitol in Tallahassee. This annual ceremony rewards and honors those in the fire services community who have shown excellence in their profession.
On Tuesday April 11, the CFO will host a traditional “Ringing of the Bell” ceremony before the Cabinet meeting. The ceremony honors firefighters who have lost their lives in the line of duty.
Award recipients will be recognized during the Cabinet meeting.
Monday, April 10
WHO: CFO and State Fire Marshal Jeff Atwater
WHAT: Annual Fire Service Awards Reception
WHEN: 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. EST
WHERE: 22nd Floor of the Florida Capitol
Tuesday, April 11
WHAT: “Ringing of the Bell” Ceremony
WHEN: 8:35 a.m. EST
WHERE: Florida Capitol Courtyard
This year’s award recipients represent fire service organizations across Florida. The winners are:
- Darrel Donatto, Fire Chief of the Year – Palm Beach County Fire Rescue
- Ryan Gallik, Career Firefighter of the Year & Fire Service Instructor of the Year – St. Cloud Fire Rescue
- James “David” Dietz, Forestry Firefighter of the Year – Florida Forest Service; Chipola Forestry Center
- Ted Ross, Fire Marshal of the Year – Tice Fire District
- Jackie de la Osa, Fire Inspector of the Year – North Collier Fire Control & Rescue District
- Keith Tyson, Professional Firefighter of the Year – Vice President of Education Research and Outreach for Florida Cancer Support Network
- Brock Dietz, Fire Investigator of the Year – Florida State Fire Marshal’s Office, Tallahassee Field Office
- Earl Gray, Volunteer Firefighter of the Year – Highland Lakes Fire Department
- Robert Lemons, Fire and Life Safety Public Educator of the Year – Boca Raton Fire Rescue Services
- Fire Academy of the South, Training Center of the Year – Florida State College at Jacksonville
Chief Financial Officer and State Fire Marshal Jeff Atwater, a statewide elected official, oversees the Department of Financial Services, serves as Florida’s State Fire Marshal, and is a member of the Florida Cabinet. CFO Atwater’s priorities include fighting financial fraud, abuse and waste in government; reducing government spending and regulatory burdens that chase away businesses; and providing transparency and accountability in spending.