Governor-elect Ron DeSantis and Lt. Governor Jeanette Nuñez today held an appreciation event honoring veterans, military members, first responders and Gold Star families at A Call to Action: Honoring Service, Sacrifice and Country. [Read more…] about Governor-elect Ron DeSantis Honors Florida’s Military Members & First Responders
Ahead of Veterans Day, Florida Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam is highlighting the services that the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services provides to Florida’s more than 1.6 million veterans, as well as some services for active military members. The department works to support our nation’s heroes and their families through services, such as: waiving fees for professional licenses, expediting concealed weapon license applications and providing unique outdoor opportunities to wounded veterans.
“The men and women who selflessly serve our country and defend our liberty deserve all of the support we can give them,” said Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam.
The department provides enhanced services to veterans and active members of the military by:
- Waiving the fees for honorably discharged veterans and their spouses to enter new professions or open a business that is licensed by the department so that these men and women can jumpstart their careers.
- Expediting nearly 90,000 applications for concealed weapon licenses for veterans and active duty military since the summer of 2015. Honorably discharged veterans should submit a copy of their DD 214 long form with their applications. More information on how honorably discharged veterans can apply for a concealed weapons license can be found here.
- Hosting wounded veterans at outdoor recreational events free of charge through Operation Outdoor Freedom. More than 3,000 wounded veterans have participated in more than 400 guided hunts, fishing trips, canoe trips and more in Florida’s state forests and designated outdoor spaces. Additional information about the program and upcoming events can be found here.
- Dedicating two of Florida’s state forests in honor of our veterans – Peace River State Forest and Prairie Tract State Forest – and reducing forest entrance and camping rates for veterans to enjoy these great places.
- Accepting relevant military training or education when veterans or active military members apply for private investigator and security officer licenses.
Visit FreshFromFlorida.com to learn more about the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.